- Finding Us
- Our Liturgy & Sacraments
- Our Ministry
- Our History
- We Support the Following
History of St. Luke's...
St. Luke's Church sits in the center of Hope, New Jersey, a tiny village that seems to be about 250 years, rather than an hour and a half, from Manhattan.
Now on the National Register of Historic Places, Saint Luke’s Church, built in 1832, may be counted among the dozen most important early Neo-Gothic churches in the United States. William Bulgin, a builder and craftsman from England, is reported to have worked on the construction of Saint Luke’s. Some of the most notable features of the building would seem to reflect his background: the graceful spiral stair in the narthex and the window directly above the entrance. Bulgin brought his tools with him from England and he may well have been responsible for the making of the remarkable Gothic style wood ornament of the organ loft and of the sanctuary.
The church is fortunate to retain much of its original nineteenth-century furniture: pews, a pair of armchairs in the gothic style similar to the work of altar rail, a fine baptismal font of wood with gothic ornament and angels, a lectern and a side altar.
Architectural drawingsand photographs were made of the church in 1937 as part of the Historic American Buildings Survey that was conducted under the auspices of the Work Projects Administration (WPA).
A brief history of the church, written by Guy Walton and illustrated by John Hovell, can be downloaded by clicking on the picture above.
We hope you will generously support the restoration effort now underway to preserve this marvelous architectural treasure. To make a tax deductible donation, please contact our Bookkeeper Helen Morton